Established in 2007, Opportunity Sheffield is the employment and skills service provided by Sheffield City Council. The service commissions, delivers and oversees activity to support employers and local people into employment, training, traineeships and apprenticeships.
Working alongside DWP and our community organisation partners, Opportunity Sheffield assists people looking for work - including those with disabilities, physical or mental health issues, skills deficits, a lack of work experience and other barriers to employment - whilst also supporting employers with their workforce planning, recruitment and upskilling needs.
Opportunity Sheffield ….
- provides pathways to employment for individuals at a distance from the labour market and for those that face multiple barriers
- secures employment and apprenticeship opportunities for Sheffield residents across the city’s employer base and through the Council’s planning and procurement activity
- delivers apprenticeship training through our own training units
- brokers apprenticeships and other training provision on behalf of Sheffield’s employer community
- supports local employers in meeting the requirements of the Apprenticeship Levy
- organises work experience placements across the city’s employer base for 2,000 Year 10/11 students per annum
- manages and delivers employment and skills projects on behalf of the Combined Authority, South Yorkshire Local Authorities and Sheffield City Council
- commissions a range of employment programmes under the Sheffield’s Working brand that support individuals facing barriers to employment, including mental health, learning difficulties & disability, a history of offending, homelessness, debt and basic skills deficits on their journey to and into the labour market
- delivers the Sheffield’s 100 Apprenticeship programme that incentivises employers through a wage subsidy and ongoing support, to recruit disadvantaged 16-18 year olds to apprenticeship positions
- supports the third sector through capacity building and commissioning to bid for and deliver Welfare to Work programmes
Tel: 0114 229 6168